I'm a word person. When confronted with questions like these, I usually turn to the "definition" of the words in the question so I can clearly answer what is being asked. The definition of definition is this: the act of defining or making definite, distinct, or clear. The very definition of the word makes this question hard to answer because I am learning that I have no definite definition.
Isn't that just a wow moment? Like OMG, right?
I have no clear, defining definition of who I am because I am constantly changing, constantly rearranging, constantly growing, and constantly getting better. I wish, so very much (really, you don't know how much), that I could say "this is who and what I am," but I am learning that those are labels, and I'm trying to get away from labels.
Right now, in this moment, my criteria for self-definition are as follows:
- Am I a good person? Yes.
- Can I follow directions? Yes.
- Can I make change for the better? Yes.
- I am married to Ted, but that does not define me as a person.
- Right now, in my heart, I belong to frog, but that does not define me as a person.
- Right now, in my heart, fiona belongs to me, but that does not define me as a person.
- I work for XXXXX, but that does not define me as a person.
- I take umpteenthirty pills every day, but that does not define me as a person.