Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Runes

The second tattoo I got consisted of a line of runes down the middle of my back.  Lately, they have been talking to me, wanting me to pay attention to their meaning.  So, here we go.  The order I talk about them is the order they are tattooed on my back.

YR:  Protection
This comes first and before all others because it is the eye that can see behind me.  Some people have Jesus or Mary tattooed on their back for the same reason - to watch their back, to see what it coming up behind them.  When I first started doing spiritual work, I felt a great need for protection.  Now, I feel I have built myself up to protect myself, but this rune is a reminder to do so, and it is a reminder of the work needed to be done in order to protect one's self.

Ansur:  Wisdom
There's an old saying:  With age comes wisdom.  But I don't believe that to be true because I know some pretty stupid old people.  I more believe that with experience comes wisdom.  Some of the wisest people in my life aren't what one would consider "old."  This is my reminder to achieve not just common sense, not just book learning, but wisdom - the all encompassing knowledge that ties everything together.

Sigel:  Honor
When I got this tattoo, it was meant in the way of the warrior.  To fight the good fight with honor.  But now, it has taken on an entirely new meaning for me.  Honor thyself.  I have been working long and hard to honor myself, to show myself gratitude and compassion, and to lift myself out of the darkness and into the light.  Some days, I slip back down, but I have a good support system in place to help me on those days, and they honor me, too, when they help me.

Dang:  Self
All roads lead to self.  Protection of self.  The wisdom within one's self.  Honoring thyself.  Because everything begins and ends with me.  All of the tantrums and mood swings begin and end with me.  I have the power to let them take over or not.  All of the beauty and good days begin and end with me because I have the choice to let them in or not.  To quote a friend, "It's all about me these days."

Jara:  Reward
When we have gone through the list, there comes the reward for all of the hard work.  For all of the fine tuning of the self, there is the reward.  For all of the bad days endured, there is the reward.  The tricky thing is that the reward is ever changing as I am ever changing.  Every day, my reward is something different, and my goal is to find the reward every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment