Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Belly

There was a time, a long time ago, I think, that I enjoyed my belly.  For one, it is fun to say.  Bellybellybelly.  For two, it is fun to make fun of people's bellies.  "There is a dime on my belly" still makes me laugh.  For three, it is hard to do a belly roll without much of a belly.
 
But now, my belly and I aren't getting along.  All of the weight I have gained has gone directly to my belly; so now, it protrudes out from the front of my body like a foreign thing.  They say that when you have to bend over to see your toes, it is a bad sign.  I'm at that fucking sign, folks.  (Yes, it deserves an f-bomb.)
 
And I'm kind of sad about it because I got my belly tattooed because it was the seat of my soul.  When I was meditating or praying, my hands would automatically go there and cradle the ink I designed myself.  But now, I just stay away from my belly altogether because it is so freaking round and in the way.  I still feel the seat of my soul is there; it is just furrowed down underneath all of the damn belly.
 
The last time I saw my dad, he said that he would like me to "lose a little of my middle" by the next time he saw me.  That's been a year ago, and I have gone up a size in that time.  That makes me feel like a loser, a failure.  Even though I am taking steps NOW to get healthier, I couldn't give him what he asked me for, and that makes things difficult for me.  (I DID manage to tell him that I'd like to see him with a few less beers next time I saw him, but I didn't see either of those things happening.  That kind of made me feel good.)
 
But what can I say?  I'm a fat girl, and I'm trying to get healthy.  I have this tremendous belly, and I'm trying to get rid of it.  It takes a long time, though; and sometimes, I think people have unrealistic expectations.  I know I did / have / probably still do.  So, my belly is going to disappoint people, and that disappoints me.
 
Damn the belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment