Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Coping Mechanisms

So, I was talking to frog about coping mechanisms this morning, which made me think about my own coping mechanisms. I know I have both good ones and bad ones. I need to rely more heavily on the good ones and less heavily on the bad ones; but in order to do that, I think I need to identify both, don't you agree?

Let's start with the bad...
  • I'm a picker. I pick my nails, my arms, and any bit of skin I can get at. There is actually a name for what I do because I can get so lost in it that I can do it for hours if I'm not careful, but I don't remember what the name of it is. At one point, I rationalized it that I did this so the outside would hurt as much as the inside.
  • I bite my nails.
  • I'm comfortable in the "drama zone"; although, I have to admit that this has gotten a lot better.
  • I pick fights w/ Bear when I'm feeling lonely or stressed out in order to release tension.
  • I go to bed and sleep. I did this a lot when I lived in CA.

The good...

  • I call people - particularly frog.
  • I email - particularly Angel.
  • I take a bath.
  • I scrapbook.
  • I play with Epona.

So, I need to focus more on those good things, and I need to build more good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment